Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Pesto from our container garden

The first basil plant I didn't kill!!!!!

I have attempted to grow basil at least twice in the last year with no success. I planted some basil from seeds in our container garden a couple days before mother's day. Despite my gardening attempts, the basil is thriving.



So, the moment we have been waiting for.... Eating food that we grew.

Cannelloni bean pesto:

  • 1 can cannelloni beans rinsed and drained
  • 2-3 cloves minced garlic
  • Fresh basil
  • Fresh lettuce from garden
  • 2 tbsp. olive oil
  • 2 tsp dried basil
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 2 tsp nutritional yeast
  • Garlic salt to taste
I started out following a recipe, but got didn't have everything I needed so I improvised.  Most basil recipes call for about 3 cups of fresh basil. My plant only had about 3/4 cup, so I added some fresh lettuce and extra dried basil.  I added the beans for some extra protein and nutritional yeast for some cheesy flavor. 

It was super easy.  I threw everything in the food processor and then mixed it with the cooked pasta. 

If you would like more texture, I recommend adding the walnuts at the very end and barely chopping them.


Today for lunch, I had the leftover pesto with some pitas.  Mmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment